322 views
Verified Reviewer

1.7

Two year old furnace failed. Freedom Express 2018, 276 RKDS Still under warranty.

The unit was just set up on our permanent seasonal site so moving it would be difficult. The dealership was very helpful showing me how to remove the furnace on a newer ,similar model. Very tight fit. They would replace the failed computer card.

Easy solution

Poor design and installation. I am willing to bet the furnace was installed and then the walls and framing were installed around it. Then someone in the brain trust remembered that it has to be serviced so the return air opening was cut just large enough, about 1/8" larger that the physical dimensions of the furnace ( I measured). Difficult to disassemble .

Ducts and gas was removed but power and thermostat wiring is impossible to access. Seems to be hardwired to the unit.

Spoke to factory. They insist there is a plug. Not to be seen and even if there was one no way to access it.

The furnace can be pulled forward to within 6-8 inches of the opening . The power and thermostat wires prevent it from being pulled any closer.

Will now have a local RV service agency figure out how to do this. Looking at a $500.00 bill.

This is second Coachman and I'm really disappointed. Wood chips and sawdust inside of everything including the light fixtures.

Wiring is a mess as many wires cross between each other. Instead of tied off in a harness is it is left hanging. After transporting the unit we still wind up with sawdust in the shower. If I had employees doing this type of work for me they would all be looking for a new place to work.

Just to qualify my observations.

I am a registered Professional Engineer with 40 years of experience in the design of HVAC and temperature control systems.

So I do have some idea of what I am looking at.

This is not a reflection of my dealership as they have been very helpful and are as perplexed and frustrated as me.

Would we purchase another Coachman or Forest River product? At this point I doubt it.

User's recommendation: Check accessibility of equipment. Open all panels for equipment access. If you see mangled wires and lots of sawdust you may want to question the workmanship.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Coachmen Rv Pros: Beautiful.

Coachmen Rv Cons: Poor workmanship.

Comments